Monday, December 8, 2008

Where are you, Christmas?


It's finally starting to feel like Christmas to me. Not because people have turned their homes into colorful light displays, not because we've finally had a snowstorm (even though it didn't even stick), not because I'm sitting here watching the Charlie Brown Christmas Special, but because I have given my first Christmas gift of the season. It wasn't anything fancy--just a Christmas tree-scented candle for my friend whose favorite holiday is Christmas. He really wanted a tree but felt he doesn't have enough money for it this year. So then he wanted a tree-scented candle so he'd at least have the scent of the tree to provide some Christmas spirit, but felt like he couldn't even afford that. So I decided to take care of him.

Isn't giving what Christmas is all about? We celebrate the gift of something simple--a baby, whose life and death gave us something we cannot buy or earn for ourselves--hope and salvation.

So, if you have yet to find some Christmas spirit I suggest you try giving it to someone else. If you give, it will come.

1 comments:

Kelsey K. Hartley said...

Love your thoughts. It's good to have you back!