Monday, August 4, 2008

The Kindness of Strangers

I frequently eat at Subway. Last time I was there the kid who rang up my order said "you have this many points on your Subway card. That's enough for a free 6-inch." So, today when I went there for lunch I thought, "I have enough points for a free 6-inch sandwich. I'm gonna use them and get lunch for free today," because, come on...who doesn't love free food?

I order my samdwich and get up to the register where I give the kid my card and say, "I believe there are enough points on here for a free 6-inch." The kid at the register swipes my card and informs me that I have 49 points and I need 50 points for the sandwich--I am only 1 point short! I am kinda confused at this point because I swear that the last kid who helped me said distinctly that I had enough points for a free sandwich. Nevertheless I pull out my debit card to just pay for the darn thing when a knight in shining armor swoops in on his noble steed to my rescue!

Well, actually he was wearing a blue button up and jeans and he was just the guy in line behind me, but all the same...what he did was pretty darn chivalrous. He said "why don't I pay for mine first and put the points on your card so you get your one more point?" (or something to that effect). I said, "really?! That is so nice!" And so he did. And I got my sandwich for free. And I was so flabbergasted at his kindness that all I could do was stand there in grateful awe and say "thank you" when if I my brain had been working properly I might have thought to say "thank you and here's my card" (as I give him one of my business cards that I have carried around for the last year just in case I needed one for something like this) and he might have called me up and we might have begun dating and then gotten married and had some cute little kids and a house with a yard and a dog...but none of that happened--I merely said "thank you"...and then he was gone forever. Sniff.

So to all of you who wonder where all the good guys are I say, they do exist! They are out there! They are timid creatures and rarely show themselves, so you've got to watch carefully--and keep a business card handy!

And Subway guy...if you're reading this...thanks again. You're my hero.

6 comments:

Preds Girl said...

Ok, that was hilarious! It's so true...good guys are out there, but they must be hiding or are already taken. LOL. Way to go Subway guy!!

(Maybe you should eat Subway all week...he may show up again!)

Katy said...

This is so nice... I love when those nice guys wiggle out of the woodwork and actually show themselves to humanity! You go, subway man!

reagan: said...

was it the subway in lehi? they jipped me of all of my points, they are claiming they cannot 'read' my last card. stupid. I have had that card for 4 years! so many points, now I get to start ALL OVER...ugh

Stephanie said...

What a nice guy! I am glad to know good guys are out there.

Em said...

That was so nice!! I probably would have been just like you and just said "Thank You" LOL

Kelsey K. Hartley said...

Nice--I love stories like this.